Donate to the Blog

By donating you make it easier for me to post more often on more topics and give me the ability to spend more time answering your questions. If you enjoy reading or have found any of my posts valuable feel free to let me know.

Saturday, August 4, 2012

Slug Monster: A Painting to 3d Model Conversion

A few years ago I did the below painting for fun. It was a character I had created in my sketch book which I thought would be interesting as a painting. It came out very nice and it has been on display in my residence ever since. About a month ago, in my free time while working on the several different projects I work on at once for my portfolio and for fun, I decided to translate it into a 3D model/ composition. I have always thought that it would look great in 3D and that it would really bring the characters to life. After not touching it for a few weeks I came back to it yesterday and completed it. I am thrilled with the final product and I am considering possibly further developing this concept into a sculpture or toy. I have posted the original painting below along with the final 3D Render. Check it out and remember that when you come up with something that is interesting whether it be a drawing, painting, sculpture, or 3D model, think about exploring the same concept further in different mediums as I find it important in the development of ideas and for your growth as an artist and designer.

Original Painting

 Final 3d Render

Detail/ Close-ups


The original painting was done in Acrylics & Markers on Canvas. The 3D version was created with 3ds Max and rendered with Mental Ray.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Donate to the Blog

By donating you make it easier for me to post more often on more topics and give me the ability to spend more time answering your questions. If you enjoy reading or have found any of my posts valuable feel free to let me know.